Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Where Would Jesus Park?

Another personal character goal this year is to put others WAY before me in manageable ways. How's this going to work? I need to take to heart the question WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

The popular phrase/question "What would Jesus do?" has its roots in Topeka, KS. According to Wikipedia...
Though variations of this phrase have been used by Christians for centuries as a form of imitatio dei, the imitation of God, it gained much greater currency following Charles Sheldon's 1896 book, In His Steps. Sheldon's novel grew out of a series of sermons he delivered in his Congregationalist church in Topeka, Kansas. Read more here.
So when it comes to parking at church...what would Jesus do. At TBC's office, Carol just informed me that she sees people parking at the library and walking over to church. Geesh. I get there early and park in the TBC parking lot and leave my car there all 3 worship services.

As a worship leader, I always battle the "me" in myself. If I truly put others ahead of me...maybe I should park at the library?! Do I want to? Absolutely not. Do I want to go through the trouble of dropping off gear I have and then repark my car down a block at the library? No, I don't.

Should I say "no" to myself, and give my parking spot to someone who comes later. Well, what would Jesus do.

I'll start parking at the library - even though I don't want to. It's what Jesus would do.

Then again, maybe Jesus would sell his car and spend time somewhere else on a Sunday AM. But that's all another topic.

Look for my car at the library...even though I don't want to make the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment