Monday, July 02, 2007

Firework Tents

One thing I've noticed about Topeka, is that they love their fireworks. I was amazed to discover a mass of tents pop up over night.

In fact, I've watched our son, Joshua, go through three stages with fireworks.

1. Scared. He didn't want to hear the bangs. He didn't want to watch them. He wanted to run close to mom and dad so they would protect him.

2. Trusting. He began to trust mom & dad that the fireworks wouldn't hurt him. We slowly assured him that they are fun to watch. The colors are nice. The bangs are exciting.

3. Adventurous. He wanted to look out the window. He approached the window. He wanted to go outside to get a better view. He actually overcame his fear.

That's how it is with our spiritual walk. When God brings something new to our life [a change] - I tend to be scared of the change at first. I think it may hurt me. Then I slowly trust God with the changes He's asking because He assures me that He will protect me. Finally, I embark on where God actually wants me to go because He allowed me to overcome my fear due to trusting in Him.

What am I afriad of God asking me to do?

Would I do it if He really asked?

Do I really believe and live what God says?

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord..." 2 Timothy 1:7-8

God help me to take a step when you ask me to. Even when I'm scared. Even when I don't trust. Thank You for your faithfulness in showing me what to do and giving me courage that You stand with me in everything You ask me to do.

No comments: