Monday, March 17, 2008

Embarrassing Moment During Prayer

For those of you who missed it in the 3rd hour of worship yesterday...

While senior pastor Jim Congdon led our church in closing prayer this past weekend, I walked onto the stage from the back. I was going to lead the last some from the piano. I walked over to the piano and TRIPPED on an extension cord. It wasn't a little trip. It was an ALL OUT FALL toward the piano. I put my hands out to catch myself and my FULL WEIGHT went onto the piano keys. It wasn't just a finger or two...it was my FULL FOREARM. Talk about a 20th century tone cluster - Charles Ives would have been proud. It was loud. It was distracting. And it was embarrassing. Jim looked over at me and simply said, "Thank you."

I want to take this time to publicly thank Chris Davidson for shaking his entire pew with his laughter while I led the last song.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:29 PM

    You recovered well, though, and just started playing "prayer background music" like nothing had happened! No harm, no foul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan...I never comment on these things, but I just had to this time. I am laughing SOOO hard right now...and can't stop!!!! I just wish I was there to have seen it! :) Its hard to explain, but that kind of stuff is TOTALLY my sense of humor and I have a feeling my pew would have been shaking with laughter as well! You crack me up!

    Sarah McCray

    PS Hope you all are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:06 AM

    It's going in my "Memories of a 30-year pastorate" book, chapter one, under the heading: "How to
    wake people up during pastoral prayer."
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 PM

    I thought Jesus had returned and instead of coming in on the clouds, he landed on the piano keys. Got excited for nothing, but did have a good giggle! :) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Bryan, the mortified look on your face when I looked up was priceless.
    But as always, you recovered from it with much grace.

    Chris Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Does anyone have this on tape?!?!

    ReplyDelete