Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Rehearsal Expectations

As the Vocal Team, Orchestra, and other groups get started in several weeks, I wanted to review an expectation that I have for every person showing up to rehearsal. The expectation goes like this: Come prepared (having your part already learned). That means if you are a vocalist, you better know your harmony part on the chorus BEFORE rehearsal. If you are a drummer, you better know the INTRO pattern on the song. If you are a guitarist, you better know all the chords before rehearsal. If you are an audio guy, you better know where that instrumental solo happens before rehearsal. Remember, rehearsal is RE-hearing something...not on the spot learning. Most do an excellent job of this, but I do know when you show up unprepared.

What are indicators that I see when someone HAS NOT prepared? Here are some:
  1. You don't have a clear and confident knowledge of how the melody or chord structure goes. (Use the music/recordings in advance to have this in the pocket before you show up.)
  2. You didn't know where the solo was. (I look at the instrumentalist or audio guy and we blow right through it, don't use the excuse that you were paying attention to something else.)
  3. You have a lost look on your face. (Worship leaders [each of you] can't lead if they need to follow someone else.)
  4. You ask me, "What am I supposed to sing on the chorus?" (Individual vocal parts are all available via www.planningcenteronline.com, if you have problems...call me before the week of rehearsal.)
  5. You ask me, "What feel are you going for here?" (It's on the recording you had access to for the past 3 weeks.)
  6. You mention some excuse, "I was simply too busy." (You could have called me in advance to say I should get someone else, or you should do a better job of not over-extending yourself.)

What are indicators that I see when someone HAS prepared? Here are some:
  1. You know exactly how the melody or chord structure goes, enough to take risks and make a little mistake here or there.
  2. You not only knew where the solo was, you nailed it.
  3. Your face displays a confident look. You are leading yourself and the worshippers instead of following.
  4. You might say, "I really enjoy how the vocals sound on the chorus."
  5. You might say, "The recording has this type of feel, but what do you think about this type that I worked on as an alternative (then demonstrate it)."
  6. You called me a week ago and said, "I know I accepted the invitation to sing/play 4 weeks ago, and you even got me music 2.5 weeks in advance, but I've had some major unexpected changes in my life - I need to decline, can I make some phone calls for you?"
If we come to rehearsal prepared, our relationships will become more important than the music. That's the end goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment