Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cheating on My Family

"But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall enter the ark--you and your sons and your wife, and your sons' wives with you.” Genisis 6:18

Family must be pretty important to God. Why else would He establish an agreement with not just Noah, but his entire immediately family (and their wives). Noah’s family must have been important to himself as well - I wonder what Noah’s reponse would be if God had said, “I’m going to save you from the flood, but not your family.”

How important is family to me? Is it more important than my career? School? Friends? Ministry? Material things? While I’d like to say family is more important than these other things, where do I spend most of my time, energy, and resources? Do I feel more comfortable dumping $300 into guitar effects processors than I do $300 toward a family vacation? In the end, I should end up cheating something - question is…will it be my family or something else?

God, Noah’s family was important enough to You that you saved them because of how Noah lived his life. Like Noah, I’m asking that You would cause me to be the spiritual leader and take responsibiliy for my family. Help me to make family something I’ll never cheat. Show me what to cheat in order to make family my main ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment