Thursday, September 14, 2006

Unpaid Staff Retires After 27 Years

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win." 1 Corinthians 9:24

There is an audio tech at Grace that is "retiring" after 27 years of unpaid service. 27 YEARS! Wow. I'm 33 years old…that means he started volunteering at Grace when I was just 6 years old. Steve, if you are reading this...that's a compliment...sort of.

To show you how long it's been, Tim Reedy (our media producer on staff at Grace) recounts what it was like when he started.

Here's what Tim had to say...
"To show you how long Steve has been on the job, I recount this story that he told me. The sound ministry began in the chapel when the services were held there. Steve would operate the sound board from a room that wasn't even in the chapel itself (Jodi Miller's office is this room). When a soloist or Pastor Young would require a microphone, cassette tape, etc., Steve would have to run back and forth from the chapel to the "sound room" in order to set the levels. My, how times have changed. Steve will continue attending Grace so please, when you see him, thank him for his years of service." - Tim Reedy


Steve has demonstrated a life of 1 Corinthians 9:24 when it comes to the audio ministry at Grace. Life is a marathon…not a sprint. Steve wasn't a rollercoaster…gaining momentum for a quick fun ride. Steve was a steady train that was committed. While Steve is still in the race of "life" - he demonstrated as a volunteer a commitment levelt that is difficult to find today.

What kind of race am I in….a marathon or sprint? I have to keep in mind my purpose, position, and pace. Like any great runner - I should know why I'm running - my purpose (for fun, for a prize, for a world record, for a personal best). I should know where I'm at in the race - my position (the beginning, the middle, the last lap). I should also know what my pace should be at any given time (rest time, time to push).

God, thank you for even allowing me to run this life race. I don't qualify to begin with, but you put me in anyway. Thank you for showing me how to have a great start to the race, and thank you for showing me what's ahead (what I need to know anyway). Help me to listen to Your voice. You are my only coach. At the end of my life, I want people to talk about what You accomplished through me - not what Bryan Nelson did on his own. Help me to continue to listen to Your voice and follow the guidelines you've already set so that I can win.

No comments:

Post a Comment